Further experiments show that overscroll-behavior is also unsupported entirely in Safari browsers, both desktop and mobile. This is the type of "unsupported" I feel at ease washing my hand of: while not ideal, it doesn't hurt the user, and I'm in position to either implement it on the browsers' side or mine.

Safari appears to be full of such idiosyncrasies: many a web dev I've spoken to give up trying to wrestle with Safari if their goal is wide support, not simply that of Apple device users.

After some consideration, I've reverted to using a full, complete Inter font file. It's enormous compared to the subsetted alternatives, but at least you only have to load it once. After that, the font is cached into your browser's memory and won't require refreshing for a while. That's the theory, anyway: I haven't configured HTTP caching policy yet.

My only saving grace is that this site won't be seen or used excessively in the beginning, which gives me time to do things well while they remain good-enough. Loading ~300kB of fonts is no pleasure, especially coming from someone who cares deeply about performance, but at this stage, this is acceptable. Won't be so for long, but within the limits of my work ethic, I have a bit of time to tinker and fix this part.

The reason I went back to full files is because (A) tabular numbers didn't work with my subsets, for whatever reason, (B) (and I'm astonished I didn't notice it from the get-go) the subset fonts looked horrible. They looked like the browser's rendering engine experienced a sudden onset of dementia and spilled pixels around. I'm sure these are solvable issues, and I'm sure I'll be able to reduce the font file sizes without sacrificing quality – I just need to apply some effort to learning how it all works.

After that, I've accidentally forced myself to come up with the timed-list design that I've been avoiding for a few days. I've decided to work on updates – a feature transferred from the first version of my website that allows users to keep track of the site's new content without having to go through every single page manually. So far, the updates themselves are entered manually – but they do reside on a dedicated page you could visit every once in a while to check out the new stuff.

Updates page's presence forced me to figure out how a timed list – one where entries are accentuated by the dates said entries were created on – would work. Without the date-time approach, the page simply wouldn't work. Figuring it out was not difficult at all, which says volumes of the strength of procrastination when you remember that it was for several days that I contemplated taking up the task.

(You can see the results on this very page.)

Finalized navigation design for mobile devices today. It mostly consisted of manually applying the same number of elements to all pages. This is the part that one automates sooner rather than later, or gives up doing entirely. It's why I'm looking for a very particular suite that would let me control precisely how raw data is transformed into Web-presentable pages.

Given that my needs are specific and these sorts of software are rarely made to fit, I may well end up writing that part myself. This website is but one instance of the DIY attitude I've been feeling throughout most of my life: if it doesn't exist, make it; if it does, edit it to your needs, 'cause it certainly doesn't come fitted. My own build tool fits the bill. I have no idea how that would work, but I've learned things from scratch before: it's confusing in the beginning, but soon enough it starts making sense.

And with that... The website is ready. It's been a while since I started working on it – about a month before this log started – tending to the particular and fitting my vision of it with the capabilities of HTML / CSS stack. At times I started feeling like giving up on it, so slow was the progress, but the desire never came to be strong or meaningful: it was simply an expression of disappointment with the fact that things aren't already as I wish them to be. It passed as soon as I realized I wasn't making progress because I was fooling around instead of working on the parts that led to a fuller website – category and project pages, specifically – and started working on those.

It may also serve me well to remember that, while I enjoy solving problems, this website is not something of itself: it's a vessel for information about the things I do. It's an interface between my productivity and the world. It's meant to serve a purpose, not lie around pretty. I wouldn't to be confined in my efforts by the difficulty of presenting it to the world because my website is a mess to work with. It's a good idea to engage with while doing something that is in itself rewarding.